1. Look under your car and find the drain plug, which looks like a large nut under the oil pan. Once you find it, place a container under it to catch the fluid. You may have to crawl deep under your car to reach this area.
2. Unscrew the plug. Make sure you have plenty of towels or rags around—this can be messy!
3. Remove the cap from the oil filter using a wrench (if you can’t do it by hand) and empty the
oil into the container. The filter will be full of oil, so make sure not to spill any on other components, as it can heat up and possibly cause a fire.
4. Empty the oil into a separate container and place it aside until you can take it to an oil-recycling center. Do not dispose of the oil anywhere else!
5. Lubricate the gasket by dipping your finger into the new oil and rubbing it along the gasket, then screw on the new filter where the old one was. There should be installation instructions along with the new filter.
6. Once all the oil is drained, carefully wipe around where the oil plug was, then put the plug back on, tightening it with a wrench.
7. Using a funnel, pour all but one quart of fresh oil into the filler hole, giving it time to fully run down.
8. Replace the oil cap and run the engine for up to one minute. Check for leaks from the oil plug and filter while doing this.
9. Turn off the engine and wait 10 minutes for the oil to settle. Then, check your oil level by removing the dipstick, cleaning the tip with a clean rag, putting it back in the pipe, then removing it again. Keep adding oil slowly and checking the level. You can stop adding oil when it reaches the “full” line.
10. Give the car a test drive around the block a few times. Let it settle for another 10 minutes, then test your dipstick again. If it’s still full, you’re all done. If not, follow steps 9-10 until it is.
SCHEDULE AN OIL CHANGE AT IRA LEXUS OF DANVERS TODAY!
Changing oil is a time-consuming process, especially if it’s your first time doing it. It can also come with unneeded stress for you, so why not let our trained professionals take care of the work for you?
If you don’t have the proper equipment for this task, LEAVE IT TO US
. While you sit in our comfortable waiting area, our Lexus-certified technicians can quickly change your oil without you ever needing to lift a finger. This incredibly convenient service can be easily scheduled online and is available to all customers in the North Andover, Peabody, and Danvers areas. Visit us today!