The brakes are the most important part of an automobile, as they help keep you safe around North Andover, Peabody, and Danvers. They’re comprised of many parts, including the rotors. If the rotors aren’t in good shape, then you may not be able to stop your vehicle and could get into an accident.
That’s why it’s important to know how to change rotors. Our team at Ira Lexus of Danvers will tell you how it’s done and when they should be replaced.
Read through our detailed guide, and CONTACT US
if you have any questions.
BRAKE ROTOR REPLACEMENT PROCESS
To change the brake rotors, make sure your vehicle is firmly resting on jack stands that are on a flat surface. Then, complete the following steps…
1. Remove the lug nuts and wheels.
2. Unbolt the brake caliper fasteners and then the caliper.
3. Take the caliper off the rotor.
4. Remove the rotor from the wheel studs.
5. Match the new rotor to the old one, making sure the diameters are the same.
6. Clean both sides of the new rotor to remove any oil or residue, then place it back onto the wheel studs.
7. Slide the caliper back onto the rotor.
8. Reinstall the wheel, and then test the brakes before getting on the road.
WHEN TO REPLACE ROTORS
Brake rotors can be replaced anywhere from 15,000 miles to 70,000 miles. While they start to wear every time the brakes are applied, the rate at which they wear depends on a variety of factors. These include:
• Type of brake pads on the car
• How efficiently the rotors cool themselves
• The braking style of the driver
• Any exposure to moisture and/or road salt
Semi-metallic brake pads, for example, tend to wear down faster. Brake pads are clamped down onto the rotors. So, when a pad is worn thin, it’ll start rubbing against the rotor. This can cause the rotor to eventually wear down, resulting in a needed replacement.
A brake rotor may also need to be replaced if it wears unevenly. This can occur when the rotors overheat, and you’ll know it’s happened if you feel a vibration when the brakes are applied.
BRAKE ROTOR SERVICE
While you could replace the brake rotors yourself, it’s something that’s best left to the professionals. They can get the job done quickly and efficiently, so you can be back on the road as soon as possible.
At our state-of-the-art service center, you’ll find a team of highly trained and certified technicians. Here, they’ll use cutting-edge tools and technologies to get your braking system in tip-top shape.
The rotor may still be in good shape and just need to be resurfaced. However, if it gets to be too thin, then it’ll have to be replaced. If so, our team will replace both rotors with high-quality ones to ensure even wear. This way, your brakes can help keep you safe for many more years and miles.
SCHEDULE A BRAKE ROTOR CHANGE TODAY
IF YOU THINK YOUR BRAKE ROTORS NEED TO BE REPAIRED OR REPLACED, DON’T WAIT. SCHEDULE SERVICE
AT IRA LEXUS OF DANVERS, AND WE’LL HAVE YOU DRIVING AROUND NORTH ANDOVER, PEABODY, AND DANVERS AGAIN IN NO TIME.