Signs That You Need an Oil Change
If you’re not sure whether you need to replace your oil, here are a few signs that suggest it’s time to make a change:
• Dashboard Light: If the oil change or check engine light is lit up on your dashboard, it’s a clear indicator that you need to take a look at your oil.
• Oil Color: Oil should have a golden hue, with no sludge or dark spots to be found. If you look at the color of your oil, and it’s thick, black, or tar-like, it’s time to schedule a service appointment.
• Excessive Smoke: It’s normal for smoke to be emitted from your tailpipe. However, if there is an excessive amount of smoke being released, or especially if smoke starts escaping from under the hood, it’s important to get your vehicle checked. It’s possible that your oil will need to be changed.
• Mileage: This is the most reliable way to track your oil changes. It’s recommended that you change your oil every 4,000-5,000 miles, depending on the age and condition of your vehicle.
• Overheating: If you begin to smell oil or gas while inside your car, or if you hear any knocking or banging sounds in the engine, it’s important take your car in for inspection. Without regularly changing your oil, it’s possible your engine can overheat.